Short introduction from the Netherlands

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Kees95
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Johannes

Short introduction from the Netherlands

Post by Kees95 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Hello,

My name is Kees Hellinga, 18 years old and I live in Zeewolde, the Netherlands. As school I do operational technique, that's steam, oil- and gasengines, refrigeration, elektronic and more.

When I was ten, I start as volunteer on the steam pumping station "Hertog Reijnout" in Nijkerk. That's an old pumping station of 1882. It has a one cylinder Meyer expansion engine, with a injection condenser, the engine drives two paddle wheels to pump maximum 260M3 pro minute. The steamboiler is a new one, build in 2007. It's a coalfired firetube boiler, 12 bar/180PSI for 1200Kg steam/hour.

When I started, I don't know anything about steam, over the year I learn a lot about engines, steam valves, thermodynamics, steam boilers and a lot more. Now I'm 18 and I want to start with building a steam launch. The idea is a standing wood/coalfired firetube boiler, about 7bar/100PSI. (In the Netherlands you can build an boiler without official examination, but by an modeling assocation, when PxV<200 = boiler contents times steam pressure most be lower than 200). The engine will be a V-compound, because I think that's buetifull en quite rare.

In an other topic I want to talk about the design and building off the steam boiler, engine, pumps and appendages.

My English leaves much to be disered. Please correct me when I make mistakes.

Greet, Kees Hellinga
Last edited by Kees95 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Short introduction from the Netherlands

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome Kees, You will find lots of information on all those things on here.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Kees!

It's good to see some of the younger bunch joining up!
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Araminta

Post by Bert Blik » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Welcome too the forum Kees. It's lovely to see some younger blood amongst the "grey haired" brigade to keep this lovely hobby alive.
There are some more ' nutcases" here in the Netherlands in various stages of steam launch ownership but not all subscribe to this forum but ,as far as I can tell, are members of the S.B.A.
One thing I have to set you straight on. Any boiler of any decent capacity does have to have a certificate in the Netherlands. In the old" stoomwezen " days the norm was that ,if the boiler pressure in Bar X content in liters was smaller then the number 200 the boiler was excempt from a certificate if the pressure was below 3 bar.
So that leaves you with a content of roughly 66 liters so not a really big boiler.
As far as I know the 3 bar rule still applies and I do know about the sceme where a few dedicated bolier inspectors from several model steam engine clubs are allowed to test and inspect boiler of model railway engine.
I did, actually, look into this before starting to gather all the parts for my launch and this didn't apply to the size of boiler we need for our boats ( unless you'r planning on something small like a steam canoe).

I wish you success with your plans and no doubt we will run into eachother at some steamboat rally

Bert
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:57 am

Kees95 wrote: My English leaves much to be disered.
It's not necessary to correct you - it's very understandable by a native English speaker. This isn't grammar school or English class, it's stoomboot talk!

Good luck on your efforts Kees!

-CB
Stoomsnor
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: S.S.Walrus

Post by Stoomsnor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:29 pm

Hello Kees!
I am Dutch myself but I reply in English because of our British friends on this Forum. Like yourselve I am building a steamboat. It got out of hand and will measure for about 12 meters when its ready. I am still in the process of finishing the steamengine as well as the boiler and condensor. Be welcome to visit me some day to exchange some nowledge and enthousiasm!
Stoomsnor from the Walrus
elast@ziggo.nl
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:59 am

Welcome to the forum indeed.

Your almost exactly where I was ten years ago, I am 28 and graduated from university where I studied mechanical engineering for five years in 2010.

As a child visiting my grandfather in summer mean a weekend on his steam boat (a canal narrowboat) then in the summer between high-school and collage/6thform (aged 16) I spent several weeks in the boat, and again two years later in the summer before starting university.

That time I got the steam boat bug hard and with the extra time/freedom etc was able to go boating much more.

I am now the main person who uses the boat, although mum+dad can also take it out and we still take my grandfather out on the boat for a few days a year.

Good luck with it all!

Daniel