Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hello from Michigan

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 am

Posted on behalf of DetroiTug:

DetroiTug
Warming the Engine

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:50 am Post subject: Hello from Michigan
Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself, I'm Ron.

I'm currently involved in a 23 foot or so steam tugboat build. Started out with the "Salty" plans from Reliable Steam. Drew it in CAD and scaled is it up a bit and it is now around 23 feet long and 100" wide. I'm going to build the hull from steel.

I have a boiler already and have a single M (too small), and now a double M that just finished the major machining on. Interesting engine and story behind it. The engine is a twin simple 3 X 3 X 4. It has both steam chests facing the same direction. It is essentially two M's coupled together. It was only made for one year as I understand it in 1958. This kit was purchased then and worked on for a short period and put in storage in 1959. It was wrapped in newspapers from 1959. It was discovered in the spring of 2008 and I purchased it and have since finished most of the machining. There is a short video of it running. It's out of time etc. and only the rear cylinder can be heard. Still have much to do on it

I have a Boiler, it's a 42 sq ft VFT. This boiler was built about 10 years ago, bought, fired a few times and then left outside in Texas.

I put a page together, it's a bit of a hodge podge running log. Getting ready to start the hull as we are moving in to a larger building. I'll try to keep everyone posted of the progress.

http://www.rogersmachine.net/Steamboat.html

Thanks, Ron

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:23 pm Post subject:
welcome to the forum Ron!

Sounds like quite the project
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

DetroiTug
Warming the Engine

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 am Post subject:
Very anxious to get started on the hull. I've done quite a bit of steel fab, so it should go pretty smooth, and I'm thinking it should go fast. There is an outfit around the corner that is, if I heard it correctly, the biggest Galvanizer in the country. They do bridge beams etc. I'm going to contact them about galvanizing it after I get it proven out. Building a hull intended for plywood out of steel is a pretty cavalier move, and now scaling it up proportionally, is off the charts risky. I could very well wind up with a big yard ornament. That's one reason I'm anxious to get it done and put that speculation behind me.

Ron

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:08 pm Post subject:
Hi,

Checked out your web site. great stuff!

I would suggest the following...get a copy of Weston Farmers " From my old boat shop" If your going to build you boat, you will thank me......

Loft the boat out.....I know you have CAD and so do I, but lofting it full size will show the errors that don't show on the screen.

It also gives you a chance to check it out full size

Dave

DetroiTug
Warming the Engine

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 am Post subject:
Thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll grab a copy of it.

Ron