Ho for the river

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
carljones733
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Ho for the river

Post by carljones733 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

I am a stranger to this forum. Know only a little about steam engines. My experience maybe greater then I think. Back in the mid 1960's I was Curator of Man and His Bread Museum, at Utah State University, Logan, Utah At that time we had a inoperative Case steam tractor. Much late in the 1980's I was curator of the former Corps of Engineers Steam Dredge "Captain Meriwether Lewis" located on the bank of the Missouri River at Brownville, Nebraska. I have foregotten how many steam engines she had but around 30. a triple up and down for her main pump two compound horizontal popen valves for her side wheels. The was a turbine for her water jets and on her generators, the rest mainly had the sliding valves. She was built in 1932 by Marietta Manufacturing Co, Point Pleasant, West Virginia. She has Forster Wheeler water tube boilers. Her Sister was the "Capt Clark" changed to a cutter head and last I know was working in the Houston area. I left the boat in 1987. She is now open to the public on a unknown schedule. A similar dredge, the "William Black" is located in the ice harbor at Dubuque, Iowa.

My current Steamboat connection is not with engines but with the recording and genealogy of their personnel. I have access to upwards of a 100,000 names from deckhand to masters. And will do searches and genealogy for a small fee.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Ho for the river

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi Carl

Welcome to the Forum! I hope that you find it of interest. The members are an amazing collection of people and very happy to share their knowledge with folks like me who are always asking for help, but they don't always agree. The boats that they have or are building are immensely varied so you should find something to your taste. As Den said in a different context, "it sure beats TV".

Regards

Pete