Some people have all the luck

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
87gn@tahoe

Some people have all the luck

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:34 pm

A bit of info first for those who have not been to my house..

Where I live (looking at our house from the street) there is my house then a house to the left, then an open lot with a group of very large Jefferey Pines that had been struck by lightning many years ago, then the last house on the street.

I had seen the evidence of the lightning strike and evidence of rot in the trees and had expressed some concern to my girlfriend and father about the hazard...

So Sunday, December 19, 2010, we had quite a storm up here with some VERY high winds. One particular gust that I remember must have been every bit of 80mph.

I thought a snow plow was driving by (rumbling house shaking), which I thought a bit strange as it was raining and there wasn't any snow on the streets.

The neighbors in the house at the end of the street were all home. It was the wife's birthday...

The whole family escaped out the back door, unscathed.

~Wesley
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Some people have all the luck

Post by farmerden » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:24 pm

It looks as if the area has been opened up for houses.Those are pretty big sticks to be left all alone.Pines aren't very strong anyway and then they were froze as well. I know you don't want to say it but-You were right! If only someone had listened! Den