Doughty Valley 2017 (Steam Traction Engines)

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Doughty Valley 2017 (Steam Traction Engines)

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 am

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Doughty Valley 2017 (Steam Traction Engines)

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:07 am

I've seldom hear them bark so. When they are moving about slowly they are as dangerous a hybrid car. Almost completely silent.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 am

About half the engines I filmed in the video above are Baker Uniflow engines. Those have a different sound if you listen carefully.

Sawmill, Baker fan (the yellow fan), and an assortment of power eaters as loads so they can show the engines doing serious work.

The power eaters are ridiculous because they dump the electric load to essentially big power resistors (heaters!)

So on a day when it's 90F they are lighting a fire, taking the heat energy to make steam, using the steam to convert the energy into reciprocating motion, then to electrical, then back to thermal energy they dump into the air. :lol:

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 am

And with my launch I'm burning wood (originally solar energy) and perhaps a few percent of the energy goes to moving the boat along and making a few pitiful waves.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 am

Lopez Mike wrote:And with my launch I'm burning wood (originally solar energy) and perhaps a few percent of the energy goes to moving the boat along and making a few pitiful waves.
So much more worth it. You are, going places! You are slightly warping the fabric of spacetime.

-CB