A Salute to the Deck ...

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: A Salute to the Deck ...

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:25 pm

"They can go fast on designated race courses on designated days with a permit from the authorities."

That would be tough to get passed. Huge boating industry to fight. Water ski sales would be adversely affected :lol:

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Oh, I know. Just being a curmudgeon.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:14 am

I remember seeing an event on Chautauqua Lake, New York State between the Chautaqua Belle steam paddle wheeler - 100ft+ length and a stupid jetski/personal watercraft.

The jetski stalled 20-30 feet right in front of the path of the Belle. I think the Belle goes about 6knots or so. There was really no way the Belle could avoid a collision by turning or reversing.

I forget how it ended - I think the jerk got his damned contraption out of the way at the last moment.

---

One of my sisters gave a rough analogy that I think although not completely true gives some insight into why some people shouldn't operate boats or airplanes:

Driving a Car is 1-Dimensional. (think roads - you are most of the time following a line - largely you have to watch out for what's in front of you and behind you on that line)
Driving a Boat is 2-Dimensional. (you are on a 2D plane, you have to look all around on your plane which is the water you are floating on to get the full picture)
Driving a Aircraft is 3-Dimensional. (you are in a 3D space - and you should be aware of things in every direction)

Not that we all don't know at least several people personally that we think shouldn't be driving a car. :lol:

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 am

There was a tragic incident on Lake Chelan a few years ago wherein a jet ski was jumping the wake of the daily ferry that travels the lake from end to end. The driver of the jet ski misjudged and struck the ferry at some considerable speed. The passenger on the jet ski was killed. The driver was eleven and the passenger was nine.

It's hard to know where to start on that one.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Looks like you guys are having fun with this thread. Re jet skis, we were just encouraged to maintain "a torpedo watch ..."

Fred, Advanced Coastal Cruising is next. We circumnavigate the Delmarva in May. The ocean leg is stood watch-on-watch. I haven't stood watches since merchant marine days, and then it was the cozy comfort of the engineering spaces with my coffee pot. Here, I'll be in the flooded cockpit with the foul-weather gear, tether, auto-pfd and all the other crazy paraphernalia deckies surround themselves with ...
Steve