A Salute to the Deck ...

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

A Salute to the Deck ...

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Just received my ASA 105 cert - Coastal Piloting and Navigation. It's about the most one can do as an amateur this side of the pond ... roughly equivalent to the RYA coastal piloting and navigation course. Nothing amateur about the exam - took me four hours or so to finish.

Why? Wanted to sharpen my skills ... Now it is for the seven-day circumnavigation of the Delmarva peninsula ...

Meanwhile, back to my teak deck to keep me humble ...
Steve
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: A Salute to the Deck ...

Post by fredrosse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Excellent effort on your part. Glad at least some of us study fundamentals more than only steam. And next....Advanced Coastal Cruising?
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes, Congrats Steve. Would be nice if there was some level of training requirement for new boaters - nothing too heavy, just common sense items like "right of way" ., what "no wake" means etc. The way it is now, anyone can buy a huge boat and go hi-balling down any river without any regard for the rules.

-Ron
Jack Innes
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Mazeppa

Post by Jack Innes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Ron,

Be careful, here in Canada people were justifiably complaining about the idiot factor with their jet-ski watercraft. The end result is that everyone has to have a "boater's card" to operate any powered boat. The course is well designed & covers, navigation, safety, common sense rules & even a bit of first aid. see; http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/?gclid ... aQoduVUAow for details. With a little looking you can find a sample test that is interesting.

This is an inconvenience for the fellow who has been running a tin boat around the lake at his cottage for 40 years & wants to take his grandchildren fishing a couple of times a year.

Jack
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Jack, I meant for everyone else, not me of course :lol:

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:57 am

We solved a lot of the problem in San Juan County in Washington State. We banned personal water craft. Attention Deficit Disorder boaters. You should have heard the yowl from the sleezoids who sell the damned things.

The test for the slippers card here in this state is so simple that anyone who can't fill out the on line form correctly should probably not be walking a dock.

I've been pushing for a national boating speed limit for boats of 1.5 times the square root of the waterline length in feet and knots. As a wake reduction matter.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:00 am

Some of this discussion made me chuckle.

Even though I had taken a boater safety courses 15+ years ago, and had driven a g a s o l i n e motor boat (both two 2 stroke, 4 stroke) in New York State, and in Alaska - and sailed, paddled canoes in Canada, Kayaks, Sunfish, Catamaran etc - the State of Ohio got pushed to make a law.

Me and my land based buddy were too young - so we had to take an extensive online course to assure that we can be do this.

Even though I and my buddy have absolutely no interest in jetskis/personal water craft. We both have college degrees, both worked for NASA, and he has a private pilot's license.

It's insane - but it's just a reaction to the lives lost from jetskis/personal water craft and how easy it was to rent them.

On the water - don't assume that boats/ships are following the rules. Avoid congestion if at all possible.

~10 years ago - I had an incident in which I thought I would end badly for me . I was kayaking near Juneau, Alaska. An Alaskan Ferry showed up bearing down on me. Luckily the crew of this many tons ferry saw me and changed course. It was humbling and amazing to see a ship change course so that a little hand powered kayak could continue without trouble.

-CB
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 pm

With a few startling exceptions like the Queen of the North running into an island and sinking while the wheelhouse crew was having sex, the cruise ships and ferries I have encountered along the inside passage seem to keep an excellent watch.

Here in Puget Sound, the larger power boats seem to be under the command of lunatics and psychopaths. They regularly contest the right of way with 2000 ton ferries and seem to enjoy testing the ultimate stability of other small craft.

There an audio recording that has been passed around here of a skipper on the radio with a ferry boat asserting that, "I've been on this course for forty-five minutes!" I live within hearing range of the ferry routes and a day does not pass without hearing the five short blasts of a ferry boat distressed by some dolt on a collision course with death.

Almost as bad as being ignored in my small open steamer is the behavior of a few who notice me and try to satisfy their curiosity by passing close aboard at full snort. Sometimes I can turn and take their wake on my bow but all too often their is another monstrosity following in their stench so must either run with their wake (sometimes difficult do to nearby shore) or prepare the boat for a difficult situation.

My most recent encounter was with a whale watching boat (~100 passenger) that I thought was coming over to give the paying mob a close view of a steam launch. At the last moment, when I realized that I was going to be caught between them and a rocky shore, I heard the skipper orating on his speakers about an eagle on a tree above me. I sounded my whistle and the passengers, many of whom had seen me and were taking my picture, began to yell and scream.

He never even slowed down. A fifteen knot pass from an 80 foot boat only twenty feet away is no fun.

Lately I am beginning to see power boaters who are on their cell phones!! I may invest in a paint ball gun.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Quote: "I've been pushing for a national boating speed limit for boats of 1.5 times the square root of the waterline length in feet and knots. As a wake reduction matter."

As preposterous as this sounded at first reading, it makes sense. I wouldn't try too hard though, that would be a tough piece of legislature to get through. Then again, there is nothing wrong with owning a boat that will do a 100mph, as long as it's operator knows how and where to do it safely.

I was raised on and around the Detroit River and Lake Erie. Many stories of idiot boaters. It hasn't been too bad in the last few years, with the economy and fuel prices, these high dollar cacklers and even rich kids themselves have been getting more scarce, Plus DHS is out there now too. Ten years ago, it was really dangerous out there. Every place they go is wide open and there was little control of alcohol on the water. We had some really bad accidents which prompted stricter enforcement of the laws regarding alcohol. Drunken idiots running right over other boats at 60 mph etc.

Here is one story that just happened:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26187 ... e-st-clair

Boaters in general have a very bad reputation in this area. There is a bay called Crystal bay over in Canada right off Amherstburg by Livingstone channel. For years, people from the US would go over there and party. Every labor day they would tow an old cabin cruiser over there and burn it to signify the end of the boating season. In their drunken stupor and irresponsibility would leave the remains which would either sink in the nearly clear water or wash up on shore. Enlightened ones that think they are artists have went around the bay and "expressed themselves" in paint on the natural rock formations. Just being A-holes big time. OPP has been overly patient with these people for many years. The last time I went through there, it is absolutely no partying of any sort. No alcohol on any boat unless it has kitchen facilities (Canadian Law as I understand it). Of course, that doesn't discourage these folks from going over with a cooler full of cold ones and many of them get busted as a result. The OPP has contempt for the US pleasure boaters and I can't say that I blame them. Then with all the Homeland security nonsense, places we used to freely (Essex, Point Pelee etc) go are essentially off-limits without the proper paperwork.

A good relaxing and entertaining pass-time here is to park near a public ramp and watch some of these yahoos try to launch and haul out. You'll see some of the most docile folks absolutely lose it :lol: No drain plugs, won't start, flat batteries after launch, can't back up a trailer - funny stuff.

-Ron
Last edited by DetroiTug on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:54 pm

They can go fast on designated race courses on designated days with a permit from the authorities. I raced inboard hydros (5 liter) and it didn't leave the trailer except on race day.

I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Fiddler on the Roof where someone asks the rabbi if he has a prayer for the czar. He answers, "May the lord keep the czar . . . . FAR FROM ME!"

May the lord keep noisy stink pots . . . FAR FROM ME!!!

As a side effect of banning personal water craft here, our statistics on injuries and death on the water have taken a giant leap in the right direction. I am reminded of what Mark Twain said about the 4th. of July. "Every year thousands of fools are killed by fireworks on the 4th. We need more such holidays!"
Dalai Lama