LoadRite Trailer Details

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

LoadRite Trailer Details

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Folks

I have a small problem here in the UK. I am trying to find out what thread type is used on the 1/2" wheel studs on my LoadRite trailer (2008 build, 14" wheels). The lack of any mention in the LoadRite website makes me think that the standard used must be so ubiquitous in the US as being not worthy of a mention. Of course, I could be wrong...

Regards

Pete
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: LoadRite Trailer Details

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 pm

My guess would be 1/2-20 fine thread.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:59 am

1/2-20 National Fine Threads are standard on USA wheel lugs of smaller weight vehicles and trailers. Either 4 studs on 4 inch bolt circle or 5 studs on 4-1/2 inch bolt circle.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:13 am

Pete, I have taps and dies for that, if you need. If it isn't that, then I can identify it from the charts.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Jack Innes
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Mazeppa

Post by Jack Innes » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 am

Pete,
Most Jeep vehicles use 1/2 - 20 wheel nuts. Early models had LH & RH thread. There are several suppliers to the military vehicle restorers in the UK if regular parts people cannot help you.
Jack
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Everybody

Many thanks for the information. That is exactly what is needed. The folk who are going to quote for a wheel spacer will stick with the existing thread standard. The problem has arisen because I needed a spare wheel, but baulked at paying 150GBP simply for shipping from the US, never mind the cost of the wheel and tyre. I have found a UK caravan wheel that is exactly right except that it had an offset (ET) of 30mm whereas the original wheels have an offset of zero.

Best wishes

Pete
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:47 am

Try looking at wheels from early '80's 2wd toyota pickup or most earlier chrysler, dodge, plymouth RWD vehicles. I was able to use the wheel from my '73 Dodge dart (5x4-1/2" bolt circle) on my '81 toyota pickup in a pinch, and once on my boat trailer.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 pm

H Folks

Me again. The trailer progresses in that the spare wheel arrangement is now sorted (sorry no pictures just yet). However, there is another little problem that I hope friends across the Pond can solve for me.

The Loadrite trailer has hydraulic disc brakes and the main piston/actuator mechanism is connected to the individual callipers by flexible pipe. There is one pipe that runs down the left frame tube and exits through a hole. That pipe meets a brass T where it joins to the cross axle tube to the callipers. This particular trailer was probably designed for a Gin Palace with a couple of Mercuries on the transom, so the axle was placed way back towards the rear. With Frances Ann on board that gave a nose weight that was way off the nose weight scale. So, I shifted the axle and mudguards forward by a yard and then got a sensible nose weight. However, to do so meant that I had to do horrible things with the brake lines, but without disconnecting anything.

I need to sort this out and make it safe and look respectable in case the traffic cops should stop me for a look at the boat. My planned solution is to make up a new and shorter flexible pipe from the actuator and have it emerge from a hole nearer the current position of the axle. To do that I need to know what thread size and standard the pipe fittings are likely to be. I am assuming once again that such pipe is ubiquitous in the US and Canada so that nobody thinks about it. I am also assuming that what we normally use in the UK is bound to be different.

So, please may I draw upon your expertise?

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Pete, here are a couple links that may assist you in identifying the fittings:

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-b ... rake-Lines

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-b ... ion-How-to

I'm sure if you contacted the trailer manufacturer you'd get a precise answer as to what sizes they use on that particular model.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Wes and Friends

Many thanks for those links - first class information!

You old hands will no doubt be amused to hear of my recent experiences with the trailer. Given that Frances Ann is now in a nice boathouse, it seemed a bit silly to be clocking up parking charges for the trailer at the Boating Centre. Thus, on my last trip up, it seemed sensible to bring it home and and park it back on the front garden (well sensible to me...). Now I had forgotten that I moved the axle to get the balance right with Frances Ann loaded. I also never thought to take with me the nose weight scale or the tyre pressure gauge when I set off for Coniston.

The lads at the Boating Centre retrieved the trailer from the compound and parked it nicely for me to take away. I backed up the car, hooked up (three cheers for reversing cameras) and plugged in, changed the trailer number plate to match the car and set off. Before I was a mile down the road I realised that I had failed in the forward thinking stakes. The trailer was bouncing and bucking about like some kind of caged monster. So I stopped and reversed the number plate extension unit to put more weight forward and then let some air out of the tyres. That was better, but not good. A bit further down the side of the lake I stopped and dumped some more air and then tipped all the tools out of my tool bag. I then climbed down to lake side and brought up two of the largest stones I was able to carry. They went in the tool bag, and the tool bag was lashed to the winch post. That was a bit better still. One more stop before the motorway and more air dumped and then I joined the truckers on the M6. Happily I got home OK but it was no fun at all.

Since then I have moved the axle again taking it a little bit further back. With the extension piece reversed that gives me 60kg of nose weight. The spare wheel should be useful to get the nose weight exact as it can be mounted onto the frame side rails in almost any position. Moving the axle has possibly reduced the need to mess about with the hydraulic hoses. The attached pics show how the junction looks now. I don't think it is under any strain nor does it look as if it can suffer damage in transit. Mike Rometer has also kindly offered to check it over and help with mods if needed.

Somehow I suspect that this story has not quite finished yet.

Regards

Pete