27' Triple Expansion Tugboat Project

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

27' Triple Expansion Tugboat Project

Post by SL Ethel » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:41 pm

It's time to sell the tug.

I bought this boat - the "Spirit of Algoma" in 2009 after chancing across her in a Milwaukee boatyard. The boat was not in running condition then, but had been run in the prior 5 years (presumaby by someone attempting suicide by boiler).

I removed and scrapped the suicide boiler and plywood wheelhouse. What I have is a hull, shaft, 24x38 bronze prop in perfect condition, and an all piston valve triple that is 4" stroke and approx 2.x+4.x+6.x bore.

Hull is primarily riveted, but the bulwarks and sheer are welded. My best guess is that this was originally a gentleman's launch - hence the exceptionally fancy engine- and was converted to a tug sometime after the second world war. Hull will require some re-plating and reinforcement/replacement of a few frames forward. The hull plating is quite thin - less than 1/8".

Engine is all piston valve, with chromed or nickle plated connecting rods. It's an ugly mess with asbestos cement lagging right now, but it turned over when I got it, and was running a couple years before that. It's definitely complete and will be a showpiece once cleaned up. I'll try to get some pictures to post shortly.

I was going to restore this beautiful hull and engine, but after this many years of storing it and making no progress, it's time for someone else to have a crack at it. I need the space for my other 3 steam boat projects. The boat is at my shop in the suburbs of Chicago. It's on a cradle, which can be seen in the picture, so it can be transported on a rental flatbed behind a 1/2 ton truck.

I'd like to get $11,000 for the whole thing, or $2,000 without the engine.

Please send me a private message if interested.

Cheers!
Scott
Attachments
IMG_0806_1.JPG
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: 27' Triple Expansion Tugboat Project

Post by fredrosse » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Dimensions and details?