3/8" BSP w/ BSP->NPT adapter Steam Siren

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

3/8" BSP w/ BSP->NPT adapter Steam Siren

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 am

British make, I had a nice gentleman who cleaned it up and lapped it and it worked like 5 times for me. That gentleman said that it is a bit dainty - I think the rotor especially.

The rotor does not spool up reliably. I'm sure in someones better machinist hands it might be a quick fix. Or maybe a replacement rotor could be made.

Condition: Visually great, but not reliable enough for use.
Comes with (unnecessary really) 3/8" BSP -> 3/8" NPT ss adapter. Has built in spring actuated valve with pull, but I would definatelly add your own shut off valve. The valve has stuck open at least once for me.

Reasonable offers or trades will be considered.

-CB
Steamboat Mike
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Catawissa

Re: 3/8" BSP w/ BSP->NPT adapter Steam Siren

Post by Steamboat Mike » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am

Cyberbadger,
It may be too late for this siren, however you might consider the following.

I built several sirens with little success. They would not spool up, would seize on the spindle or any of a fairly long list of problems. I then bought a Jerry Blain/Whistle Works siren. It really only hurt when I wrote the check. This worked great for several months, then it began to have problems with the rotor, it would chatter at speed and would sometimes not start. I took it apart several times trying to find the problem. After careful adjustment of the end play, the rotor needs to have a little free play end to end, you should be able to hear it make a soft "clunk" when shaken gently from end to end as you hold it near your ear. You must also be sure that the thrust bearing is properly adjusted at the top of the spindle to keep the rotor from contacting the housing at the top, the steam forces it upward. This adjustment can be made by very careful measurement and close inspection of the rotor and housing looking for evidence of interference.

If all this seems ok, reassemble with a generous application of bar and chain oil to the top and bottom spindle, just wipe it on with your finger and put a drop in the bearing holes. If all else is in order this may result in better operation. If it does you can make an oil cup that feeds the top bearing and also supplies the lower bearing by drilling the spindle lengthwise with a 1/16" hole. I put worsted wool in the oil cup to hold the oil and slowly feed it to the bearings. The cup has a screw top to keep the oil cle nan and dry. The cup can come through the top of the horn for easy filling. You can drill the hole by putting the siren in the lathe, just start the hole with a center cutting end mill. On Catawissa I fill the little cup with 8 or 10 drops of B&C oil at the start of each season and have a very reliable siren for the summer, no more problems.

This is what worked for me, your siren problem may be entirely different, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary. Give it a try, check it out, you may have a diamond in the rough in that siren. Every steam launch needs a siren.

Happy steaming, hope this is helpful. Best regards, Steamboat Mike
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: 3/8" BSP w/ BSP->NPT adapter Steam Siren

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 am

It was racerfrank who helped clean it up, polish a bit before. Thanks again if you read this Frank. It worked great when I first got it back from frank.

Here is that thread - has a video of it working:
http://www.thesteamboatingforum.net/for ... team+siren

I believe it might be from heritage steam supplies, but not a model they currently offer.
Steamboat Mike wrote:Every steam launch needs a siren.
It's hard to disagree with that statement. :-P

I took it apart to look at the condition...

Disassembly:
http://imgur.com/a/q7JJi

-CB