Vertical Double Acting Steam Engine

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
Danielasteam
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Vertical Double Acting Steam Engine

Post by Danielasteam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am

Newly build model of vertical double acting steam engine. Approx. 17" height with a 9.5" flywheel, weights 40lbs. Bore 2.85"(72.6mm), stroke 1.95"(50mm). Max 600rpm. Loose eccentric for easy reversing and low friction motion with securing brass nut. Unique copper "central" wick oiling system. Made by myself from the very beginning - design, calculations, patterns, dense aluminium and bronze castings. All working surfaces made from steel and bronze. Honed cast iron cylinder lining. Ground crankshaft. Ready-to-run on air for 2 - 6bars. It was supposed to be installed in a small launch. Built by me - Ms Daniela Filová - professional engineer and machinist. Located in the Czech Republic. I can ship worldwide.

I am trying to start up my own company so here is the link to my webpage that you can see other photographs and video of running engine.
http://www.danielasteam.com

I have one finished and tested. I am willing to make minor changes on request (eg. to swap the flywheel for the one without the spokes for safer use on boat...).
I have started preparing it to be run on steam (displacement oiler, steam regulating valve...) but honestly I spent more than 1 year on the whole project without any revenue so I do not want to put any other efforts if no one will be interested...

I hope you will like it. Also I presume it will not be considered as a real business ad as this is the very beginning of my new adventure with my "products".

It has almost 2x bigger cylinder volume than Stuart 5A! Despite the "subtle" appearance of the steam engine - I originally design it for operating pressure of 10bars - so when properly oiled and used at 6bars it should be a "long runner".

Nevertheless enjoy the images.

Please do not hesitate to send me the questions - I am open to discussion!

Daniela from Danielasteam
http://www.danielasteam.com
Danielasteam_Steam_engine.jpg
Danielasteam_Steam_engine.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
Last edited by Danielasteam on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Vertical Double Acting Steam Engine

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Daniela,

Very impressive work and really nice looking engine. Nice website too, good luck with your venture.

-Ron
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 am

Daniella,
Good luck from me too: nice work. There is clearly no mass market for steam engines, and you may find the right individual buyer, or maybe not, but I hope you do.

If you can write-up your construction of the engine, in the form of pictures and text, I think it might well be accepted as an article for publication in the Steam Boat Association journal, "Funnel", where it would be of interest to something approaching 1,000 members, and make them aware of your work. You can look at a sample issue of "Funnel" if you go to the SBA website.

The journal also has a small advertisements section, as does the website; you ought to me a member of the SBA to use those, which is about £20 or 25 Euros per year, but if that's a problem, a member can post advertisements on your behalf.

RGSP
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Daniella
very nice work. I expect you have done all leg work in working out how much of a market there is for steam engines in this size and price range. Joining the SBA could be a good move. ( I am the membership sec by the way ) for all overseas membership the price is £28.00 per year. This as already been said will put you into contact with just short of 1000 members world wide.

Mike
Mike Cole
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dampfspieler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Daniela,
I think it can be good alternative to Stuart 5A!
i think you are wrong.

The Stuart 5a has 2 1/4" x 2", but your engine 3" x ~2", so your engine is twice bigger than the Stuart. If the engines are driven by 6 bar steam and 600 rpm your engine will need 1,12 kg steam/minute, the stuart only 0,62 kg/min (only calculations).

There is also a difference between your post (boring 76,2 mm/3") and your website (72,6 mm). Can you check it.

Best Dietrich
Last edited by dampfspieler on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danielasteam
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Danielasteam » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:41 am

Dear Forum Members!

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs and kind words!
The SBA website and possibly the article in The Funnel magazine is very interesting! I will try to do something about it.

Yes, I was wrong - you wrote it right Dietrich. I corrected it. My quick estimation was bad estimation :)

Also I do not want to write theoretical power output as this is very dependable on many factors. Possibly I will measure it in the future - I will build simple flywheel brake rig - still so many tasks to do...

Daniela
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:01 am

Daniela,

What I see I like in your venture, engine, and website.

As a prospective customer from the steam boating world, I think steam boating customers would naturally want to know why they should choose your engine over an antique, stuart, other model makers, or from machined from barstock engine, etc.

I would love to see video(s) of your engine put through some kind of test to demonstrate it's features and power under the expected operating conditions at steam pressure.

-CB
Danielasteam
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Danielasteam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 am

Hello CB,

I think you hit the nail on the head! Thank you for your post. The idea sounds very reasonable to me. I will do some testing and I will do some video about it. I think than it will be very clear why to choose this engine over the Stuart one or over the one from the barstock - with respect to both of mentioned as they can be good performers for sure.

Thank you! Your post gives me positive energy :)

Daniela